Web Reviews / Articles
Seeing Stories – Public Art Commissions
Creative Stoke Love Ties
The Independent Review of White Chapel Open
[one_half padding=”0px 20px 0px 20px”]
Scarlet Opus Trends Blog
Steph Loves to Draw – What a Wonderful World!
About Emily Campbell Artist
1991 – 1992 MA Alternative Media Chelsea School of Art, London.
1988 – 1991 B.A Hons (1st Class) Fine Art Camberwell School of Art, London.
1987 – 1988 Art Foundation Norwich School of Art.
Current and Recent Work Experience
1993 – 2015
Lecturer in Fine Art, Staffordshire University.
- BA and MA tutor – all levels.
- Studio Practice.
- Interview and assessment.
- Module Manager Professional Practice.
- Module Manager Site Specific Study.
- Tutorials, seminars and group critiques.
- Course development.
- Written and verbal feedback.
2003 – 2004 Arts for Health Coordinator, North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare NHS Trust
- Writing strategy.
- Setting up and managing projects.
- Fund raising.
- Curating exhibitions and events.
- Presenting arts and health policies.
- Organising conferences.
1997 – 2002 Partner, Letting in the Light, in Stoke on Trent. Set up and run Socially Engaged Arts Group.
- Creative activities with different communities, including youth, probation and special needs.
- Setting up and managing projects.
- Fund raising.
- Creative consultancy.
Full clean driving license.
Proficient in Photoshop, Word and Power Point.
Design and Illustration.
Public Art Commissions
- Whisby Natural World Play Area –Commissioned to create imagery for walls and Floor for indoor play area, incorporating elements of the local area.
- Bristol Zoo – Commissioned to create walls and floor with jungle imagery for a new party room.
- Stafford Hospital – Lead Artist for Stafford Hospital A and E Children’s Ward, working in Schools to create collages with local school children that were incorporated into the final large scale images.
- Dentists Waiting Room – Private commission to create large scale artworks for walls and ceiling in the waiting and procedure rooms.
- Milton Children’s Hospice, Cambridge – Commissioned to work with families and staff to create a large wall piece for the entrance to the Hospice.
- Cambridge Crematorium – Commissioned to create large canvas artworks for the waiting area.
- University Technical College, Cambridge – Commissioned to work with scientists and local students to create public artwork for the new build.
- Cambridge and Peterborough Mental Health NHS – Lead Artist – created a series of Light Boxes for refurbished Dementia Ward.
- Edinburgh Sick Kids Hospital – Working with staff and patients to created 2 large light boxes for the entrance to the Hospital
- University of North Staffordshire Lead artist for new build Children’s Ward’s.
- BSF project Dandelion Public Art Commission for Kings School Wolverhampton.
- Blackburn New NHS Build – Major glazing commission for front of new Health Centre.
- Manchester Children’s Hospital, – A series of images and installations for Ward 78.
- Edinburgh Children’s Hospital Accident and Emergency Dept – Lead artist for proposed artworks in new build A and E
- Imagining Glossop. Glossop Primary Care New Build, Glossop.
- Imagining Bury. Bury NHS. Large scale vinyl artworks for new Health Care Development, Bury.
- Milton Keynes Dreaming. Working with community to create a 60 x 20 ft floor piece for exhibition at Young People’s Music Festival, Milton Keynes.
- Imagining Plymouth. Photographic Commission for Plymouth Accident and Emergency Department.
- Visions of Hartlepool. Hartlepool Police Station, Hartlepool.
- Lead Artist for Haywood Hospital. To engage with the hospital community, and commission local art students to create a body of work that documents and ‘remembers’ the Haywood Hospital.
- Magic Perry Common. Dove Health Centre, Birmingham.
- From Lozell’s with Love and Respect. Lozell’s Health Centre Birmingham.
- Views from Greenridge. Greenridge Health Centre, Birmingham.
- Visions of Home. Summerfield Health Centre, Birmingham.
- Views from Westheath, Westheath Health Centre, Birmingham.
- Lead Artist for Reflective Space. A Kings Fund initiative for Harplands Hospital Stoke on Trent.
- Lead Artist LIFT. Engaging with design teams, PCT’s, and local communities to create proposals for public artworks in five new build health centres in Birmingham.
- Visions of You. Research Action Project in Stourport on Severn with pro/POSIT.
- Love Ties. A Major Permanent Public Art Work, for Hanley Park Stoke on Trent.
- The Medicine. A Digital Imaging Commission for Creative Remedies Arts and Health Website.
- Love Ties 2. A Creative Partnerships project ‘Hearts on Fire’ digital project for Birches Head High School, Stoke on Trent.
- How Does Your Garden Grow?. Summerbank Primary School, Stoke on Trent.
- Beyond My Bricks and Mortar. Archbishop Grimshaw School Birmingham.
- The Wall that Wished it Wasn’t There. A consultation commission for the Haywood Hospital, Stoke on Trent.
- Shire Hall Gallery 2110. Invited group exhibition Visual Illusions Shire Hall Gallery Stafford.
- Without you I am Lost… Invited digital media exhibition at The University of Valencia, Spain.
- The Blue Butterfly…Solo exhibition at The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery, Stoke on Trent.
- Mosquito Night. Collaboration with performer Christine Watkins and scientist Angela Priestman at Herefordshire Courtyard Gallery.
- Creature Carpet. Selected exhibition Folly Gallery, Lancaster.
- The Real Kitchen…Selected site-specific commission for exhibition ‘Cultivate’ Birmingham.
- Recollections. Selected site-specific exhibition St Giles the Abbott Church, Cheadle.
Consultancy and Training
2009 – 2010 – Guest Lecturer for Birmingham School of Art MA Arts and Health programme.
2008 – Exhibition selection for Potteries Museum and Art Gallery Open Exhibition.
2007 – Public Art Training Lead speaker for a Public Art Training event, Creative Interventions.
2003 – Design for ‘Sundance Visual Arts’ (A Commercial Audio Visual Company) created logo and name and have since had active role in advising on visual ideas.
2001-2003 – Advisor for West Midlands Arts duties included: Writing reports about the region’s arts activities, the Local Education Authority on the Ikon Gallery’s Education Programme, advising on applications for funding.
2002 – Consulted on the development of Keele University Undergraduate Degree path in ‘Media, Communications and Culture’
Reviews, Press and Web links
2012 – Staffordshire Life Interview – See The World in a different Light – Jackie Gregory, August 2012
2010 – John Woodhouse Interview – Nature is Child’s Play for Emily, The Sentinel Saturday 09 October.
2009 – Author Unknown. Emergency department at Derriford Hospital, Zest, Improving the Health Care Environment. http://www.zestarts.org.uk/pages/27
2008 – Steve Bould. Floored – The Sentinel
2008 – Christine Watkins. Mosquito Night Images. Mosquito Night.
2008 – Mark Penfold. Supersize Design – Computer Arts
2008 – David Williams. Showcase Hartlepool Police Station – Commissions North.
2006 – Duncan Robertson. Generations Combine in War Sacrifice Tribute, The Sentinel Newspaper.
2006 – Author Unknown. The Power of Art. A Working Partnership, Learning from the LIFT Experience.
2005 – Gabriel Gregory. Letters of Love Which Tie a Community Together. The Sentinel Arts Review.
2005 – Author Unknown. Love Ties Launch. Creative Stoke. http://www.creativestoke.org.uk/parklove.html
2004 – Nick Coligan. Public Art Has designs on Lifting City’s Cultural Image. The Sentinel Newspaper
1992 – James Hall. SCULPTURE / Making chaos out of order: James Hall reflects on ‘Natural Order’ at the Tate Gallery, Liverpool, and unnatural selection at the Whitechapel Open. The Independent Newspaper.